Home » More News » NEW TAXI ARRIVES



City Cab Service acquires new Wheelchair Van

The City of Fort Atkinson recently acquired a new wheelchair accessible minivan which will be leased to Brown Cab, and is expected to reduce wait times for cab service—especially for persons who use wheelchairs.

The City was able to acquire this 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan minivan at no cost. 80% of the cost was covered by a federal mass transit grant from the US Federal Transit Administration, and the remaining 20% was covered by a special competitive grant from Easter Seals. Wisconsin’s Department of Transportation oversaw the purchase and was involved in the approval of the wheelchair accommodating modifications which were made to the minivan.

Area riders are noticing the nice, new, comfortable ride, and those who need to use the wheelchair ramp are getting accustomed to its nuances.

Brown Cab provides about 50,000 trips annually to residents of the community. Wisconsin DOT offers additional financial assistance to the day-to-day operations of this shared-ride taxicab program. Because of the state and federal aids Brown Cab is able to offer rides to anywhere within the city limits for only $3.25 per one-way trip. (Seniors and persons with disabilities pay only $2.00 per one-way trip.)

The Easter Seals grant money represents just a part of a $100,000 award which was given to Fort Atkinson in 2017 to help seniors and folks with disabilities get around better. The Easter Seals award is also helping to: establish a Senior Bus for the Senior Center; improved crosswalks at selected busy intersections; a county-wide mobility manager; and expanded transportation options for persons who need to get to our area food pantries or free medical clinics.

Brown Cab has operations in eleven cities scattered across Wisconsin, but has been headquartered here in Fort Atkinson since the 1950s.

DOWNLOAD NOW!

2018 Annual Report

call